Our Videos

FAQ / Licensing Requirements and Criminal Records (for D.C.)

You may be required to get a license to join a profession or advance in a career. However, you will not be allowed to get certain licenses if you have been convicted of particular crimes. The general rule for most occupational licenses is that you must not have been convicted of an offense which bears directly on your fitness to be licensed. See D.C. Code § 3-1205.03 (2000). This means your offense has to be unrelated to the license you want – for example, to get a bus driver’s license, you cannot have been convicted of (or currently indicted for) murder, mayhem, any drug violation, or any sexual offense. See D.C. Mun. Regs., tit. 18, § 201. A hacker or taxi driver’s license has the same restrictions. See D.C. Mun. Regs., tit. 31, § 1001 (2000). To get a license to be a security guard, your last conviction for a misdemeanor must be at least one year old and your last felony conviction must be at least two years old. See
D.C. Mun. Regs., tit. 5, § 1001.
Some professions will consider a letter from a probation or parole officer as evidence of "good character." Others allow you to have a hearing before your request for a license is denied. If you are denied a license, you may have a right to challenge the decision; however, because each organization has its own rules, you should ask the licensing body how to appeal a denial.

Keywords: criminal records, criminal record,


AnnaMaria Realbuto
Thank you for all your assistance and efficiency...
Read More »
Kateryna Melnychenko
Thanks a lot Anton!...
Read More »
Rani Payne
Thank you so much! I’m sure I will be in touch again with something else that will need to be apost...
Read More »
Serge Bauer Law
Thank you again for your help with this case!...
Read More »


What is the percentage interest in the partnership that should be reported on Form 1065 Schedule B question 3a and 3b under the following facts?
Read More »
Can I notarize a document with blank spaces?
Read More »
How to get an Apostille?
Read More »
Q. I have moved since filing my 2007 tax return. How will my payment reach me?
Read More »


November 29, 23
Russian soldier forges death certificate to dodge Ukraine War
Read More »
November 27, 23
GA burglars steal birth certificates and social security cards during house break-in
Read More »
November 16, 23
Birth certificate reveals name of baby boy of Kourtney Kardashian and Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker
Read More »
November 14, 23
WA woman accused of forging marriage certificate to claim survivor benefits
Read More »