Our Videos

January 30, 08

NEWS / Detainees suing U.S. over alleged sedation settle


Two foreign nationals who said they were forcibly drugged by U.S. immigration officials during failed efforts to deport them have agreed to a settlement in the case, their attorney said Tuesday.

In exchange for dropping the lawsuit, Amadou Diouf, a native of Senegal, will get $50,000, and Raymond Soeoth of Indonesia will receive $5,000 and be allowed to stay in the United States for at least two years, said Ahilan Arulanantham, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California.

The ACLU filed the case jointly with the law firm Munger, Tolles & Olson.

Soeoth, who was appealing his case for political asylum, alleged in the lawsuit that he had been sedated with anti-psychotic drugs in December 2004 at a San Pedro detention facility. Diouf, who also was pursuing an appeal for permanent legal status, said he was medicated in February 2006 while on a commercial plane at Los Angeles International Airport.

Soeoth and Diouf became friends while being held for nearly two years at the Terminal Island detention facility in San Pedro. They reluctantly accepted the settlement when Soeoth and his wife lost their immigration appeal and were threatened with deportation, Diouf said.

Soeoth, a Christian, fled his predominantly Muslim country in 1999 to escape religious persecution and "greatly feared returning to Indonesia," Arulanantham said.

Earlier this month, immigration officials said they would no longer forcibly sedate foreign nationals without a federal court order.

At the time, ACLU lawyers promised to move forward with the lawsuit to gain compensation for Soeoth and Diouf.

The settlement could make it more difficult to force the government to release details about its sedation policy, Arulanantham said.

The settlement reached Monday "does not constitute admission of wrongdoing by the government," but it does "reflect the fact that ICE has changed its policy regarding medical escorts for detainees," said Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman Virginia Kice.

By Paloma Esquivel, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

Source: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-drugged30jan30,1,7873547.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

 




Testimonials

Brenna Erford

Thank you SO much for all your help, and your excellent communication throughout this whole proce...
Read More »
John Beacleay

Just wanted to say thanks again for all your help Anton. I mean it's really amazing to me that yo...
Read More »
Niranjan Sujay
I recently used LOGOS INTERNATIONAL for the translation of my bachelor’s certificate, and I couldn’t...
Read More »
Katia Nagata

As a foreigner, I needed a certified translation, so I called the DOE to give me a list of the ce...
Read More »




FAQ

What is a Certificate of Citizenship?
Read More »
How are the competing interests of company, shareholders and creditors represented?
Read More »
Who oversees or administers the liquidation in a chapter 7 case? What procedures apply?
Read More »
What is the E-Verify program?
Read More »






News

August 13, 26
Man who killed family in Kansas had extensive criminal record – report
Read More »
August 10, 26
Nebraska woman arrested over power of attorney misuse to steal over $770,000
Read More »
August 4, 26
India considers stricter requirements for delayed birth and death certificates
Read More »
July 22, 26
Senator Lindsey Graham’s death certificate pending as medical examiner releases preliminary findings
Read More »