Our Videos

July 29, 11

NEWS / UN calls on Malawi to set up inquiry into allegations of human rights abuses

29 July 2011 –
The United Nations human rights office today urged the Malawian Government to set up a transparent investigation into allegations that its security forces committed grave rights violations when they clashed with protesters last week.

At least 19 people are reported to have died during demonstrations last week in Malawi’s biggest cities, with protesters speaking out against shortages of fuel and foreign exchange and calling for greater freedoms and human rights. Security forces have been accused by the protesters of using excessive force.

Ravina Shamdasani, a spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, told reporters in Geneva that OHCHR is calling on the Government to stop the use of force and conduct a prompt, impartial and transparent inquiry into the allegations of human rights abuses.

“We are extremely worried about reports of arrests of large numbers of people during the demonstrations, and death threats against several leaders of the protests following President Bingu wa Mutharika’s announcement via radio that eight people he specifically named would be arrested,” she said.

“We urge the Government to cease the use of mass arrests and threats to silence opponents.”

Ms. Shamdasani also expressed concern at reports that the Malawian Government has shut down news websites and social media networks and blocked signals from local radio stations.

“Journalists have also reportedly been targeted and subject to violence and intimidation. We urge the authorities to respect the freedom of expression.”




AnnaMaria Realbuto
Thank you for all your assistance and efficiency...
Read More »
Kateryna Melnychenko
Thanks a lot Anton!...
Read More »
Rani Payne
Thank you so much! I’m sure I will be in touch again with something else that will need to be apost...
Read More »
Serge Bauer Law
Thank you again for your help with this case!...
Read More »


Is a student who becomes eligible for an automatic extension of status and employment authorization, but whose H-1B petition is subsequently rejected, denied or revoked, still allowed the 60-day grace
Read More »
Is there a waiting period? Can we get married right away?
Read More »
Since when does the Wassenaar Arrangement exist?
Read More »
Can an I-9 Form be completed electronically?
Read More »


September 27, 23
Ohio hospital allegedly fakes time of death on certificate to cover up fatal malpractice over routine heart procedure
Read More »
September 26, 23
MN man clears erroneous criminal record caused by name similarity with twin brother
Read More »
September 22, 23
TN Mayoral candidate admits to criminal record over promoting prostitution
Read More »
September 19, 23
OK mom at risk of losing health insurance over daughter’s birth certificate
Read More »